The first female Speaker of the House of Commons, Baroness Betty Boothroyd, has died at the age of 93.
Lady Boothroyd was described as "one of a kind" by the current Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle. In April 1992, she became the first woman to be elected Speaker, a position she held until October 2000.
"Not only was Betty Boothroyd an inspiring woman, but she was also an inspiring politician, and I was proud to call her a friend," Holye said.
"Being the first female Speaker was truly historic, and Betty certainly broke that glass ceiling with style.
"She was from Yorkshire, and I am from Lancashire - so there was always that friendly rivalry between us.
However, hearing a northern voice speaking from the chair was reassuring to me.
"She stuck by the rules, had a no-nonsense style, but any reprimands she did issue were done with good humour and charm.
"Betty was a one-of-a-kind person.
I will miss this sharp, witty, and formidable woman."

