Detective Sergeant Bright Armah of service No.42810 of the Ghana Police Service came to the aid of a passenger who had apparently been thrown out of a commercial vehicle on the Accra-Kumasi Highway after his health deteriorated during the voyage. Armah, a police officer stationed at the Apedwa police station in the East Akim District of the Eastern Region, discovered the passenger on the side of the road and volunteered to assist him immediately by transporting him to a local health center. According to a Starr FM report, the troubled passenger, identified as Henry Owusu Agyemang Ankobea in his 40s, was allegedly removed from the car he was aboard when his health condition worsened and he was struggling to breathe.
The good Samaritan police officer offered to assist at a time when most passers-by were scared to help due to the unknown. "Around 4:30pm, I came across a sick passenger who, according to eyewitnesses, was abandoned by a commercial truck he was riding at Apedwa Junction," Armah told Starr News.
"They helped him cross the road to the other side, but he died on the ground, and the people surrounding him were terrified and powerless.".
"When I got there, I took a taxi and transported him to Apedwa Health Center, but he was referred to Kibi Government Hospital in the evening about 8:00 p.m. "He had around GHC300 in his pocket, so I utilised some of money for medical expenditures," Detective Sergeant Armah explained to Starr News' Eastern Regional correspondent.
Tragically, the passenger died while being admitted to the hospital and even before his relative, a military officer, arrived.
"When I called the family members, I called one man who claimed his name as a military officer and said the man was his cousin," he added.
"Unfortunately, the individual died before the arrival of family members the next morning, and the body was lodged at Kibi mortuary," stated the police officer.
