Saddick Adams, a well-known Ghanaian broadcaster, has explained how he learned about Christian Atsu's rescue following the Turkey event. Christian Atsu was apparently trapped in the wreckage after the earthquake on Monday, February 6, 2022, at dawn. Saddick Adams announced in the late hours of Monday that the player had been found and taken to the hospital. The award-winning journalist stated on his Angel TV sports show that Atsu's agent Nana Sechere told him of the player's rescue.
"I had been talking to him (Atsu) for a long time before he left for Ghana. I was meant to meet him before he left Turkey when he arrived. When I found out about the incident, the first thing I did was text Atsu. It didn't go through, so I tried a WhatsApp call, which also failed. Nana is the next person to contact (his manager).
"I only know him as his manager, but he's a really nice guy... When I sent him the message, he replied that he had heard it and will follow up. The club deals with him directly because he is the agent. So I chose to stick with him... I was on a bus in Morocco when Nana informed me that this is the information he has obtained."
Background
In the early hours of Monday, a massive earthquake slammed south-eastern Turkey near the Syrian border, killing almost 5,000 people while they slept and trapping many more.
The US Geological Survey said the 7.8 magnitude tremor struck at 04:17 local time (01:17 GMT) at a depth of 17.9km (11 miles) near the city of Gaziantep.
Hours later, a second quake, which had a magnitude of 7.5, hit the Elbistan district of Kahramanmaras province.
Following a stint in Saudi Arabia, the 31-year-old Black Stars winger signed a one-year contract with the Turkish club in September 2022. The earthquake is said to have taken approximately 22,000 lives in both Syria and Turkey.
